Saturday is for smiling!




(Photo by Jessica Carbone McKinney)



PECKING ORDER
  
Each morning with the lightening sky
A cardinal comes as if to spy
He perches on the window ledge
And peers upon my rumpled bed

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. He beckons me, “Rise.”
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Can’t he sense his demise?
Propped on my elbow, I level a glare
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Back at me he stares

His flaming beauty unsurpassed
Reflected in the sunlit glass
Black blazing eyes into me seer
Head cocked he shows no hint of fear

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. “Awake. Arise.”
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. “Open up your eyes.”
His message is clear. He will not be swayed
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Just go away!

Persistent as the summer rain
He pecks upon my windowpane
Determination in his stance
Posture conferring, “You don’t stand a chance!”

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. My unwelcomed guest
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Please give it a rest!
Silently I plead for one hour more
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. My pleas he ignores.

Obstinate he proves to be
As from slumbers depths he rouses me
I must concede defeat. He wins
I swear. I’m sure. I saw him grin! 

No sooner do my feet touch floor
Then above the trees he dips and soars
No fool am I to celebrate retreat
For tomorrow we again shall meet.

Donna M. Carbone
2008






No comments:

Post a Comment