Words are weapons!



A recent Facebook posting by a young mother living in Colchester, Essex, England caught my attention. She wrote that her son’s middle school had banned the word gay and all its possible uses. Anyone heard saying the word would be expelled. She further posted that her son had stated that the word meant stupid among his peers and was not a homophobic slur. This mother, concerned by the limitations put on her son’s freedom of speech, inquired what other parents thought of the situation.

The vast majority of those I interviewed felt the world had gone the way of reacting rather than acting. Many had stories which reflected my own childhood. Being of Italian descent, my mother often spoke of how, as a very young girl, she would battle anyone who called her a guinea or a wop. A close friend, born and raised in Cuba said, “I’ve learned to close my ears. Otherwise, anger takes over.”

So, what’s the solution? When I asked how people handled the use of demeaning language in their own families, most said they followed their parent’s examples. Each time a derogatory name was heard, they used it as an opportunity to discuss the meaning, use and intention of the word.

As to the Facebook post… something kept drawing me back. Soon another person posted a comment. So impressed was I by the intellect and honesty of the poster that I wrote to him and asked if I could use his name and words in this column. He gladly gave his permission.

Michael Franklin is a school teacher in the Crowley Independent School District in Texas. He is also gay. He has very strong feelings about using the word gay in an inflammatory and insulting manner. This is what he said by way of introduction:

            “I'm 36 years old, and I've been around straight people all of my life. I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, I feel so gay today" when they really meant happy. Homosexuals never decided to label themselves as gay, and it's very impractical to think that straight people are suddenly going to start using the word gay to replace the word happy.”

 Michael’s words are eye openers. We corresponded throughout the day.

            “As a gay adult, I find ‘That’s so gay!’ to be offensive. Our society would never have accepted ‘That's so black’ or ‘That's so Mexican’ in lieu of saying ‘That's so stupid.’ The sad thing is that these words are said around gay students who are in the closet, which makes them even more afraid to be honest about their sexual identity.

Gay is often used as an insult towards both homosexual and heterosexual males. The reaction, when directed to a gay person, is much different than that of a straight male. When a closeted gay person hears it, it causes him to fear that his peers will find out the truth. The use of derogatory terms places a lot of stress on gay teens. The suicide rate for gay youths is far greater than that of any other group of teens.”

Re-reading Michael’s words made it painfully obvious how easily and unknowingly society falls into a pattern of abuse. Neither repetition nor denial of meaning can turn a wrong into a right. One of my communiqués with Michael included a thank you note for my interest in this topic. He wrote:

“You made my night! I feel strongly that we must educate people to how hurtful language can be,especially when it becomes a part of everyday speech. Hurtful words diminish the self-esteem and confidence that we have in ourselves, especially when they are closely related to aspects of our lives over which we have no control.”

 “… over which we have no control.” Those six words are, perhaps, the most important of all Michael wrote. As for thanks, it is I who needs to thank him. Through our exchange I learned that there are still many truths left to be discovered. I also made a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment